Thursday, October 1, 2009

Why Wikipedia can't be trusted

I harp on this to my journalism students every chance I get. Wikipedia is NOT a reliable news source. Here is a great example...

In my last post I turned to Wikipedia to get some information on Pearl S. Buck. Under the "Humanitarian Efforts" category it said that Buck had established Welcome House Inc., the first international, interracial adoption agency.

I googled Welcome House, Inc. to find their website. What I found out was that Welcome House, Inc. was NOT an adoption agency -- it's a company that is dedicated to helping individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities live full and rewarding lives by providing a variety of residential services in an atmosphere of a caring community.

Hm.

Buck's adoption program is actually called Welcome House Adoption Program. VERY different than Welcome House, Inc. SOMEBODY didn't do their research and anyone who wants to know more about Pearl S. Buck suffers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too pound this into my students' brains. Have you seen this? It illustrates our point hilariously:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaADQTeZRCY