Sunday, June 21, 2009

Marjane Satrapi

I liked Marjane Satrapi's comic-book-novel Persepolis so much that I went right ahead and read Persepolis 2 this weekend as well.

For an Iranian family, the Satrapis were very liberal and forward thinking. So much so that they sent their only daughter, Marji, to Vienna when she was 14 years old to study and finish school. This was in the 1980s. At 18, homeless and sick, Satrapi returns to Iran and her family, but time has changed everything...especially Marji herself.

I don't want to give too much away so I'm going to keep it short. I will say that
I loved reading about her story and the history of Iran through illustrations. It wasn't at all juvenile. I would suggest this book to anyone who maybe needs a break and wants to ingest something a little different.

No comments: