Monday, June 29, 2009

Unleash your wallet

I read this post on Recession Wire and completely saw myself in Sara Clemence.

It's a challenge to be frugal, and when you learn you can live your life a certain way you feel a sense of accomplishment. I have never sent my laundry out, mind you, but when I worked at the Portland Press Herald I was making more money than I ever had in my life and I actually felt rich. Sure I didn't have to drive to work and lived in a small apartment, but I could buy normal stuff like a pair of jeans without thinking twice about it.

I have lived my life in frugal measurements. I have never (except for the aforementioned stint at the PPH) had enough money that I didn't have to worry. Even now that I've bought a house, I have no clue what my taxes and bills are going to be for the year. So I'm again living frugally.

I go through stints when I just want to SPEND MONEY, even though I don't particularly like shopping. I just want to buy stuff that I want with reckless abandon. I usually don't but I'm not going to lie, I do indulge myself every once in a while. (And by indulge I mean pay someone to paint my toe nails, get a facial, or a really good eyebrow wax). I prefer to save my money. I really like to travel and I will plan well in advance to do so.

When I was in grad school my boyfriend and I had a "fun fund" where we would put our spare change. When we got about $30 or so in it we'd treat ourselves to dinner at a restaurant. Nothing huge but when you don't have money and really want to do something, the "fun fund" was there to help. It was also fun to go to Commerce Bank and change in the change. You even get to guess how much it is and if you're close you win a prize! I got a red "C" bank once. Then I gave it to a kid. I'm a really good guesser.

This economy has not really helped me become frugal -- because I have always been frugal. My parents are frugal. I have never not had a job since the age of 18. Perhaps that has shown me the value of a dollar -- but it was more expectations from my parents than a lousy economy.

1 comment:

Kristina P. said...

I admit that we spend too much money on frivolous things. And I have that shopping bug right now! Not good!