Thursday, June 18, 2009

New Book: Persepolis

So my Barbara Walters autobiography is coming to a close. She writes it in such a conversational way that it feels like reading one long Barbara Walters Special. I'm sure she intended to write it that way but it was a little weird to me. She's say things like "more on that topic in a bit" and stuff like that. Not out of place, since she is writing about her own life, just not a style I have read before.

Anyway. My mom brought home a huge beach bag filled with books that our friend Lisa gave to her. I picked out five that I am adding to my reading list for the summer. Good beach reads but not too chi chi. Thanks Lisa!

Before I start one of those books, though, I will be reading Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. It's a novel-comic book and looks very interesting!
Satrapi's autobiography is a timely and timeless story of a young girl's life under the Islamic Revolution. Descended from the last Emperor of Iran, Satrapi is nine when fundamentalist rebels overthrow the Shah. While Satrapi's radical parents and their community initially welcome the ouster, they soon learn a new brand of totalitarianism is taking over. Satrapi's art is minimal and stark yet often charming and humorous as it depicts the madness around her.-- From Publishers Weekly
I doubt it'll take me long to read...since it's practically all illustrations. It's an interesting and clever way to take a serious topic and make it understandable by everyone. Has anyone read it?

1 comment:

Mission: Stitch Possible said...

You'll love it! I think I read it in two days.