Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What Mimi Saw: Milk

Before I watched Milk last night I was unable to disassociate Sean Penn with the mentally retarded character he played in I Am Sam. Whenever I heard his name or saw a photo of him I thought of him as being mentally retarded. Kudos to his acting I guess.

Now I can't disassociate him with being gay.

This movie won 2 Oscar's and it was clear why: IT WAS AWESOME! It literally transported me back to the 1970s. I am always amazed at movies that are set in a certain time period...where does Hollywood store all of these old cars, furniture, and terrible costumes?
In 1977, Harvey Milk was elected to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors, becoming the first openly gay man to be voted into major public office in America. His victory was not just a victory for gay rights; he forged coalitions across the political spectrum. From senior citizens to union workers, Harvey Milk changed the very nature of what it means to be a fighter for human rights and became, before his untimely death in 1978, a hero for all Americans.
I had no clue that Harvey Milk existed before I watched this movie -- or that crazy people like Anita Bryant tried to keep gay American's from working in schools or renting apartments. That seems so foreign to me in 2009.

It makes me glad that I live at a time in America where gays and lesbians are more accepted and have rights to protect them. AND that New England is leading the country when it comes to gay marriage. Harvey Milk started something in San Francisco and, while it's taken a while to spread, spread it has.

1 comment:

Kristina P. said...

I have yet to see this, but I want to!