Tuesday, June 2, 2009

What do you think...

So I had an incident at work today that has me feeling down in the dumps. I just got back from Florida to find out that another magazine in the southern part of our state (and not in our readership area) wanted to purchase a photo that Leslie took for an article I wrote. The article was about how "famous" people in Maine like to relax...so I interviewed Sen. Susan Collins, Don McLean (Mr. American Pie), local weatherman/pastor Steve McKay. No small feat. Leslie did an amazing job on the photos!

This other magazine we'll call Southland Monthly wanted to purchase our shot of Susan Collins in her kitchen. I hesitated. My boss wanted to sell it to them for $1,000 -- then changed it to $500. I wanted to know what the article was about. I mean, TWO stories about Susan Collins' kitchen in a tiny state like Maine?

Note: I have written a few freelance articles for Southland so I decided to email my editor contacts to find out what the buzz was about.

My email:
Hello! Not sure if you remember me but I have done some freelancing for you in the past. Our photo editor told me you are looking to purchase a photo of Susan Collins in her kitchen. I'd like to know what your story is about before releasing our photos. I worked really hard to get that interview and photo shoot so I want to make sure your story doesn't piggy back on mine! I'm sure you understand.

Editor's email:
When have you known us to "piggyback" on stories?
This was about something altogether different, but we're no longer interested in the photo.
I felt like it was my right to know how they wanted to use the photo. Apparently they are doing a story on kitchens. I had no clue.

I feel like I have burned a bridge and also that I have robbed Leslie of a byline in another magazine. Was I out of order?

6 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I can understand wanting to know what the story is about. I think it was OK.

jbs said...

you were SO not out of order! and i'm not just saying that b/c i like you... i'm saying it b/c your question was perfectly natural. more than likely you caught this person on a bad day. perhaps a follow up phone call is due. that way they can 'hear' the sincerity in your voice. you didn't do anything wrong, but if you're worried about bridges, pick up the phone. what can it hurt right? and it will probably make you feel better in the end.

FRM said...

They were out of line, not you -- if for no other reason than the fact that your tone was friendly and respectful and the editor's was inexplicably curt and rude.

The truth is that publications piggyback on eachother's work all the time and you are completely within your rights, when selling a piece of your story's package, to find out if the piece in anyway competes with yours.

Honestly, I hate to hear these kinds of stories. When things like this have happened to me in the past, I've found myself so unnerved (was I in the wrong? did I burn a bridge?) that I obsess for days. I hope you won't do the same. Your question was direct, but cordial and professional. I don't understand what triggered the response. I'm sorry for the photographer, but really, how could you have seen this coming?

Seth & Chelsea said...

Wow, I can't believe how snippy "Southland"'s response was. Now I don't know much about journalism, new reporting, copy right laws, etc, but from what I know about personal skills, this person was totally out of line. Were they no longer interested in the picture because you simply asked what the story was about? Regardless, you were not out of line, and you were friendly and held a completely different demeanor than their response. Don't beat yourself up over it. If you know you won't be freelancing for "Southland" again, then don't worry about bridges anyways. You're obviously way more professional and personable than they are. So there.

I saw your pictures from Florida. You Brooks girls are ADORABLE, and so is your preggers friend! Miss you already!!

Anonymous said...

I think you definitely had the right to inquire about their article the way you did. It would look silly to have the same photo accompany a story that "followed" yours, and lord nows all media outlets are guilty of this once in awhile. Perhaps it was Leslie's fee that also put them off, $1,000 seems a bit steep, especially around here. I agree that a phone call wouldn't hurt.

Mimi said...

Thanks everyone! Your comments made me feel better about the situation and I'm moving on. Hooray for comments!