Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Good Earth

Oh Pearl S. Buck -- how I adore thee! Some of you may know my adoration with books about China and Chinese people. Amy Tan is one of my favorite authors. I'm not sure WHY I have such an interest in this culture -- probably because it is so different than anything I know and am used to. China has an interesting history (to say the least) and it interests me. I am not, however, interested in visiting China. Strange? Yeah.

Anyway. I am almost done with The Good Earth. I honestly can't believe I haven't read this book until now. I look forward to snuggling up in bed every night to read it. My snuggling time has gotten earlier and earlier...last night I was in bed reading at 8:30!

There is something so satisfying when reading a classic like this. It was written and published in 1912 (before the cultural revolution) and the writing style is so different than today's flippant and often ridiculous vocabulary. It's almost like reading a very very long poem. It sounds good in my head.

But Buck did more than write, which is why I think she's such a cool lady. She established Welcome House, the first international interracial adoption agency...very forward thinking at the time.

No comments: