Friday, November 6, 2009

Weird typos

I was reading this story, posted on the Portland Press Herald's website from the Associated Press, and realized that there are some serious typos:

WASHINGTON -- Authorities say Fort Hood shooting Nidal Malik Hasan remains in a coma but is expected to live.

I think they mean "shooter" here.

Retired Col. Terry Lee, who said he had worked with Hasan, told Fox News said Hasan had hoped President Barack Obama would pull troops out of Afghanistan and Iraq and got into frequent arguments with others in the military who supported the wars.

told Fox News said Hasan? Huh?

I'm interested to know if this is an AP mistake or a Press Herald mistake. Either way...spell check! If one of my college students had passed this in they would have been in BIG trouble.

2 comments:

TC Munjoy said...

Greetings Melanie:

Well, I'm glad at least someone is reading the PPH with an editor's eye these days...someone suggested I read your stuff...so I took a look...you do have an interesting take on some things...spot on re the BDN web site...meanwhile I wouldn't hold out hope that Jeannine Guttman will answer that email...axed twice in 12 weeks, a record for the Wretched Blethens...good luck at Metro.

Regards
Thomas Cushing Munjoy
munjoy@live.com

Mimi said...

Well, at least the typo in the PPH was an AP story....