Tuesday, December 16, 2008

This story breaks my heart

This story in The Boston Globe has ruined my day. I don't believe that pets are disposable, though I can sympathize with people who are coming across hard times and don't know what else to do. This is why people should think long and hard about whether or not they should adopt a pet into their lives.

I would give up a lot of other stuff before I got rid of my dog, Miles. But I'm lucky and I don't have to worry about going into foreclosure on my home and ending up in public housing or a homeless shelter. The comments on this article, which you should read, don't surprise me in their severity. People love their pets. We should be thankful that there are agencies like the MSPCA and humane societies where animals can go when their owners can't take care of them anymore. Instead of berating these people who have fallen on hard times we should channel that passion into helping these animal shelters financially.

Check with your local animal shelter this holiday season and see what you can do to help. The humane society in my town is looking for donations of blankets for their cat room. They also collect empty ink cartridges. Find out what you can do to make a difference.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your local humane society also has an awesome dog up for adoption right now. his name escapes me, but he an older (maybe 3 or 4?) dog with a beautiful temperment. he's lived with both cats and kids and does just fine with both, which is an unusual thing to find in adoptable dogs... but his family could not afford to heat their home and keep this dog. it is said, but not all families can foresee something like this happening. we all have the potential to fall on hard times.

Anonymous said...

trust me. if i could save an animal i would. and i feel for these families. it's not easy getting rid of an animal. unless of course you are my grandma and the cat gets too heavy for your legs....