Friday, July 24, 2009

Writers Roadblocks

I read a great post on The Urban Muse on how to handle writers roadblocks like what do do when a contact blows you off, you need photos to go with the article you wrote, and scheduling interviews around your day job.

Every writer hits roadblocks now and again. Sometimes it's motivation and sometimes people will literally just not call you back. It's frustrating! Susan Johnston has some great tips so be sure to check them out!

Here are some tips from me on how to work around roadblocks:

Dealing with rude people
: Kill them with kindness. The old saying rings true: you attract more with honey than you do with vinegar. If someone is so awful to interview or work with, make a mental note to not work with or interview them next time. If they are hindering your job to get the story done drop them and move on to the next best source.

Getting photos: It's important to diversify. I have a really nice Canon digital camera to use for work. It's a big expensive one with multiple lenses. I've put time in to learn how to take photos with it...nothing crazy artsy but I've learned how to work with the depth of focus and such. I take photos on every story I write. I also carry around a small Canon that fits in my purse. You never know what you're going to see so it's important for journalists to have a camera on them whenever possible in the world of blogging.

Conducting interviews during your regular job: This can be tricky depending on what your day job is. Regardless, everyone gets a lunch break so plan on interviewing during lunch. If I have a limited amount of time to talk to someone I usually send them some questions via email so they know what I would like to ask them. You can veer off of this list as much as you need to, but having bulleted questions that your interviewee is prepared to answer is a great way to keep it short.

Do you have any tips and tricks? Share!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Yes, the kindness thing totally works and is completely unnerving to the other person.

Remember that you can always make a 'Mr. Jerkface' folder and put all their correspondence in there. Your own little passive aggressive secret..