Monday, March 2, 2009

Coffee and a side of boob

This story out of Vassalboro, Maine, is making the rounds on national news sites like MSNBC, CNN, the AP, Boston Globe, and US News & World Report. What's all the hype? A new coffee shop in town where the servers go topless.

As a retired professional waitress, I know the perils of not being adequately covered when dealing with hot liquids and baked goods. There is a reason wait staff is supposed to wear shirts -- how would you like it if a stray armpit hair ended up atop your muffin? Or in your hot cocoa?

Regardless of personal hygene, the Grand View Topless Coffee Shop had over 150 applicants and hired 10 women and men. Either people in Vassalboro are over exhibitionist or they really need a job.
Donald Crabtree faced initial opposition to his plan, but he won the right to go ahead in a planning board hearing last week. Many local residents were irate over the idea of combining coffee and nudity. Crabtree, however, saw a profitable business venture.

"I know what people want," he said. "People like nudity, and coffee is profitable. Sure, I'd start a coffee shop, but I'd be out of work in a week." - from CNN
Boy -- this man is an entrepreneurial genius. And classy! Check him out in the video below:



I'm all for creative ways to bring jobs into rural areas. And I'm not opposed to the topless coffee shop. I do wonder, however, what their heating bill is like during the winter with all these half-naked people running around....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"As a retired professional waitress"

LOL, I too claim that title. You bring up a good point about the dangers of hot liquids and, well, boobs. I didn't realize there were male servers at the coffee shop...might be worth a visit, eh?

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh... hilarious. but c'mon, we're in maine... the pickings are kinda slim for hot toplessness. my co-worker/friend scott put it best today when he said, "nudity and coffee... my 2 favorite things!!" so this guy must have at least some supporters!