Thursday, March 12, 2009

Hello Kitty Goodbye

Why does the land of Japan like Hello Kitty so much? What is it about this mouthless cartoon creature that has hordes of Japanese girls gaga?


She's on toys, on food (albeit not very good food), baby bottles, necklaces, rain boots, toasters, non-stick sauce pans, luggage, you name it, Hello Kitty has been there.

She's even gracing her own line of Louis Vuitton-like handbags.


Clearly the reason I do not understand is because I am an American.

Perhaps if I had a marathon Sailor Moon viewing, spritzed on some of Gwen Stefani's Harajuku girls perfume, wore knee socks with skirts, had ponytails, or ate sushi I would have a glimpse into the world that adores this simply drawn kitty cat.

Until then I am left to ponder...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that sounds like my daily wardrobe, and i still don't understand hello kitty. i do however have a soft spot for her little brown friend choco cat.