Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Change starts with us...

I don't know about you but I'm tired of reading about the inaguration of President Obama today. I hope this doesn't make me un-patriotic. Don't get me wrong -- I think it's great, amazing, wonderful and I am optimistic that he will do America right. But I'm tired of reading about American's who are putting all of their hopes and dreams for the future of our country in one big Obama basket.

It takes more than one man to fix an entire country.

I have been working on the green issue for the magazine I write and edit for, Bangor Metro. There are some amazing stories in there about people who didn't like how something was done so they did it their way and had tremendous results. I'm not going to give anything away, but Maine is filled with innovators who aren't waiting around for someone else to come up with ways to solve the environmental crisis.

If people really want change they need to start with themselves. I hate it when people complain about gas emissions creating pollution yet they drive their Suburbans and Tahoes a half a mile to school, the store, or to work. Or people who complain about how much trash we produce yet they don't recycle. Just last week I saw a woman throw a McDonald's bag out of her car window onto the street. I couldn't believe it.

So hooray for Obama. Hooray for change. But lets not wait around for the president to make drastic changes for us. Start changing yourself and your community and I bet you'll have a stronger feeling of self-worth and patriotism when you get results.

1 comment:

auntie antithesis said...

Right on, sister!

And change also means doing more than watching the news. And more than going to the voting booth! People need to get out there and DO SOMETHING.