Saturday, January 31, 2009

Bangor Daily News expanding?


I read this post on Media Mutt, a blog on Down East Magazine's site written by Al Diamon, with some skepticism. A new weekly paper? Really? I've been ranting for over a year now about how daily papers are doing down the tubes and weekly publications will be taking over...but I never expected the BDN to be looking into such things.

For one thing, they keep losing their reporters! Business reporter Anne Ravana went to MPBN and feature writers Kristin Andresen and Amy Doloff both jumped ship for UMaine and their print publications. For another thing their The Weekly publication is crap. When I get it in the mail each week I actually get angry. Then I promptly put it in my recycling. I wish they would stop delivering it to me, but I'm not sure who to call about it.

I understand looking for new ad revenues. Everyone is doing it these days. But if your primary publications aren't all that wonderful, adding a new one to the mix might not be the best idea. How about more local coverage and less stories from the Associated Press? A few weeks ago I looked at the front page and the only story from a BDN staff writer was by Abby Curtis and it was in the lower left hand corner.

So good luck, BDN. No offense but I'm not holding my breath.

No comments: