Monday, January 26, 2009

Growing up Guiltless

I just read this post on Write Stuff. Melanie Jacobson talks about growing up in Louisiana and being bussed 45 minutes out of her way to attend a predominantly black elementary school, even though she lived in a predominantly white suburb.

It's a different take on the Obama innaguration that I particularly liked reading about. Growing up in Maine there was nothing like this. In my small high school the only kids who weren't white were either adopted by white parents or national exchange students. Oh wait, we did have one Penobscot Indian...but that's not that big of a deal in our area.

Being bussed so that your public school can be more integrated seemed so civil rights era to me...but it happened during my childhood! I'm glad that Jacobson's parents saw it as a culturally positive instead of being annoying or unfair. Kudos!

No comments: