Thursday, January 22, 2009

Top Dog

I read this article in Down East magazine at Borders yesterday. I had heard about this little dog through word of mouth, but what grabbed me was the cover.

I, too, have a long haired chihuahua. His name is Miles. He's the same size as this dog (aptly named Napoleon) and has the same fluffy fur. Miles, however, has different markings. He's caramel brown with a white chest and belly. I think Miles would give Napoleon a run for his money in the good looks department. Then again, I may be biased.

I got Miles from a wonderful breeder in Western Massachusetts five years ago. When I would take Miles for walks around New York City when I was in grad school there, people would constantly ask me what kind of dog he was. Some people asked me straight out if he had his "manhood" because they wanted to breed their chihuahuas with him. (He doesn't if you're wondering). But most people would just comment that he looks like a little fox. And he does.

Cynthia Anderson, who wrote the article for Down East, does a great job capturing the attitude of Napolean. It must be a chi thing because Miles poses for pictures, too. But unlike the show dog, Miles would cower in the ring and lash out at the other dogs. What could have been a life of dog shows for Miles is, instead, a life of a mere pet. Which, I think, suits him just fine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

miles does have nice confirmation... but i think in order to compete with the champs, he's need to fill out a little more :)