Monday, May 11, 2009

Book Bulimia

I am a bulimic shopper. Often times I buy something only to return it a day later. The same can be said sometimes for my book browsing. I have picked up The Secret Life of Bees probably a bajillion times off of the shelf at numerous bookstores from Maine to New Jersey. It has been prominently displayed in Borders for about three years now. I'd pick it up, read the back, flip through and read a page here and there and put it back on the shelf.

I do this with a lot of books on The New York Times Bestsellers List. It's like I don't want to read it because everyone else is reading it. I did the same thing with Eat, Pray, Love and you know what? I really liked that book! There was no reason I should have put off reading it for so long.

So when I saw Bees is Merri-Beth's library displayed in our living room I went for it. I had just finished Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress and needed a change of genre. I hear the Bees movie is rather good -- so maybe once I finish the book I'll check it out.

Here's to getting over book bulimia!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I waited on Bees too...but it was an enjoyable read for me. Hope it is for you too!

Angela said...

I read The Secret Life of Bees a few years ago, and I really liked it. The movie was really good too - which is a rare thing, to like both the book and the movie.

I also really like the cover, which is the reason I bought the book in the first place (I'm shallow like that).

mimi said...

I totally judge a book by the cover, too. it's wrong...i know...but i can't help it.