Thursday, May 28, 2009

Propaganda Jehovah's Witness Style...

The other morning I found a January 2009 issue of Awake! on my kitchen table. Those of you who have been visited by Jehovah's Witnesses will know the little mag I'm talking about. Hmmmm -- I thought. I knew MB's father loved Jesus but did he leave this for us after his recent visit? Turns out he didn't. I guess Grandma took it from some JW visitors before she moved out.

The cover is sort of enticing: "Are We Running Out Of Water?" For those of you who don't know better you would have thought this was a science magazine. Fooled you! Had you looked closer you would have noticed a smaller headline in the bottom right corner that reads "Also: Are Your Problems A Punishment From God? Page 28. This is a ploy to get you to read the magazine and find God.

Flipping through I couldn't believe all the topics this 31 page thingy covered: The Water Crisis, The Toucan's Beak, Relationship Advice, Forgotten Slaves of the South Seas, Pizza, and the Sahara Desert. Holy Moses!

Here's a glimpse of the "mission statement":
This magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure new world that is about to replace the present wicked, lawless system of things.
Good God Almighty! If that isn't a warning or a threat I don't know what is.

I've been carrying around this scary little publication for a few days now, waiting to blog about it. I'm surprised it hasn't burned a hole in my handbag...I mean, I celebrate Christmas, and birthdays, and love Easter candy! I don't pray before I eat and I never go to church. Maybe it's a sign from God?

4 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I had no idea this magazine existed!

Mission: Stitch Possible said...

Ummm...What does it say about pizza?

Mimi said...

Pizza: the "article" goes over the origins (Naples, 1720). It also talks about nutrition. There's a delicious photo of a tomato basil pizza with NO mention of God or any scripture on the page. WEIRD! Apparently JWs love pizza...

jox said...

you're going to hell... face it.