Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Genres I like

I find myself drawn to books in the same few genres:

1. The Holocaust (ex: Escape from Sobibor)
2. China (ex: anything by Amy Tan)
3. Gay Funny-Men (ex: Augusten Burroughs and David Sedaris)
4. Women Who Grew Up in New York (ex: Their Last Death)
5. Depression-Era America (ex: The Grapes of Wrath)

I try not to read two books from the same genre in a row...I get bored. The book I'm reading now, Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress, fits in the "Women Who Grew Up in New York" genre. I like it, but not as much as I Was Told There'd Be Cake.

Soon I will be living with my friend Merri-Beth who has a whole crap load of books and we can feed off each other. The main problem with Merri-Beth's impeccable taste in reading material is that it's much like mine! In scanning through her library I found most of my favorite books!

What are some of your favorite books? Five of mine are listed below:

The Grapes of Wrath
by John Steinbeck
The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls
What is the What by Valentine Achak Deng and Dave Eggers
Merle's Door by Ted Kerasote
Random Family by Adrian Nicole LeBlanc

No comments: