Friday, May 1, 2009

What Mimi Saw: Earth

I have been on pins and needles wanting to see this show and I finally did! My friend Kim and I (both Discovery channel nerds....Shark Week anyone?) went to the Bangor cinema last night. Much to our delight we were the ONLY ones in the ENTIRE theater! Has this ever happened to you? It was a first for me and I LOVED it! Good thing I went with her and not some tall blond drink of water or I would have been making out through the whole movie. Actually, probably not because though I do like to make out this was an AMAZING movie!

If the thought of time lapse video gets you all excited then I'd suggest bringing an extra pair of underwear to this show. Entire valleys and forests turned from skeletal and winter white to yellow spring to deep green summer to a colorful fall in a matter of moments. The diligence it took these photographers to compile this footage is staggering. They had to take a photo every day for 365 days a year in the exact same spot to get it right. Holy cow incredible.

I don't know how they did it but these camera men caught 6 ducklings jumping out of their nesting hole in a tree to the forest floor. Who even knew ducks HUNG OUT in trees? Not I. Not Kim.

They caught a great white shark catapulting itself into the air to catch a seal. They caught Birds of Paradise shaking their booty for their women friends. They caught a lion attach in the DEAD of night in the desert and a cheetah catching this young deer-ibex like thing too. We were on the edge of our seats for that one, rooting for the baby deer-ibex thing the whole time. And because there was no one else in the theater we could squeal and scream all we wanted. It was liberating.

Anyway. Check out the trailer here. Go see the movie. It's worth it.

4 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I've been wanting to see this, so I'm glad I read your review!

Scribbit said...

Sounds good--I know my boys want to see it. They're really into the nature shows.

sis said...

i dunno... kim's pretty cute... i might be tempted to sneak a lip-lock or two in there. glad you could control yourself for the sake of the movie.

Summer Nicklasson said...

Cool...I didnn't know those episodes were theater bound. You've just elevated my motivation to try to watch this.