Thursday, August 20, 2009

Depressing Books

This "depressing book" list was compiled by Michelle at Scribbit -- a blog I like to read. I've just copied the list below...for plot synopses check out the Scribbit link above. Michelle has a great sense of humor and I love her writing style.

1. The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck (next on my to-read list)

2. Escape from Sobibor by Richard Rashke (read it and own it)

3. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (one of my favorites)

4. The Little Match Girl by Hans Christian Anderson

5. Misery by Anton Checkov

6. Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt

7. Tess of the D'Urbervilles (keep wanting to read but haven't yet)

8. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (read and liked)

9. L'Etranger by Albert Camus

10. The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy

Got any titles you'd like to ad?

2 comments:

Michael Alden said...

I've only read about a third of those books - guess I'd better get cracking. (But maybe I'll save some of them for winter or for when I'm in a different mood.)

"The Little Match Girl" broke my heart as a child. A very memorable book which I should revisit.

Here's my addition to your list of depressing-but-beautifully-written books: "The Painted Bird" by Jerzy Kosinski.

Mimi said...

oooh "The Painted Bird"--I had to read it in high school. I think I'd get more out of it if I read it again now...