Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Maine Switch takes a break

For those of you Portlanders who read this blog (all 2 of you...) you should know that The Maine Switch is going on hiatus. Some of you might know that I worked for MaineToday/Portland Press Herald for all of 12 weeks last summer, being laid off twice in the process. The Maine Switch is their alternative weekly. Well, it was a weekly until my first lay-off, then it was a bi-weekly. Now, a year later, it's taking a siesta.


Here's what editor Karen Beaudoin has to say on the subject:
Let me stress that — hiatus. Your favorite bi-weekly publication has been put on hold with the goal of studying it, changing it and eventually re-introducing it as a product that’s more in line with the needs of Greater Portland and more competitive with the alternative weeklies currently in this market.

We’re aiming to produce an even more engaging, vibrant, useful and entertaining publication. You may look forward to it even more than you have each new issue of Switch.

For the time being, look for selected Switch columnists and some of the regular Switch content to appear in Go, the entertainment guide in the Thursday edition of the Portland Press Herald.
I wonder if they have a planned date of return. Karen and Avery Yale-Kamilla will move to the features department of the PPH -- which is great.

Here's what I liked about Switch:
1. The covers were always great.
2. The columnists really knew what they were talking about.
3. The paper was shiny.
4. They catered to young people like me!

Here's what I didn't like about Switch:
1. The printing wasn't always great -- sometimes the photos looked really bad.
2. There was an overwhelming amount of "healthy" and "vegan" eating in it. I like fat foods and meat.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens. I hope for the best but in this economy and with the sale of the paper, I'm not gonna hold my breath...

1 comment:

Samantha Warren Weddings said...

I too was bummed to see the Switch is taking a break. I looked forward to it every one and then two weeks, and think it really captured what hip people in Portland in my age group wanted to read about and do in a much better way than a paper like the Phoenix, which tries too hard to be something very few of its readers actually want it to be.