Monday, August 24, 2009

Starbucks price change

I read this article in the Seattle Times about Starbucks raising its prices -- the third time since 2004. Simple drink prices will actually drip 5 to 10 cents while the prices for more complicate drinks, like a grande non-fat no whip caramel macchiato, will go up around 30 cents. The last time Starbucks raised prices it was due to a drop in traffic at their U.S. stores.

Some comments on the story:
my kids tell me it's about getting the Starbucks cup so you can walk around with it all day and all the other kids think your cool. - Spudpicker in Idaho

I stopped drinking mochas and switched to drip coffee months ago, mainly to lose weight, but saving money was also a nice side benefit. I've noticed Starbucks advertising its inexpensive, basic coffee more lately. - Plural of Ninja in Seattle

Have they gone mad? I mean, to say sales have declined because folks can't afford to go, and then raise the prices so that the ones who still go - can't anymore. I hope it backfires on them like I think it will. They raise the price of my Macchiato 1 penny more and I'm through with them. Plenty of small espresso stands I could support. - Keats69 in Seattle

To me, Starbucks is a luxury. When I worked on Newbury Street in Boston we used to do a Starbucks run for our clients and it wasn't cheap! If the price of the beverages has you down, try looking for a local alternative. That way even if you are spending the same amount of money on a drink it's going to a small business owner.

I am not a coffee drinker -- and those Starbucks specialty drinks have WAY too much fat in them for me to consume on a daily basis (heck, monthly basis) for me to feel ok about it. I keep a box of Swiss Miss hot chocolate by my desk when I want something warm and comforting. As for caffeine? A diet coke does the trick.

As for locally - I've seen half of the Starbucks (even the brand new one) close down this year. People in Maine take pride in buying local and don't care so much about spending more money on a brand -- especially when it comes to something that doesn't last long...like a cup of coffee. I'd be interested to see how Starbucks is doing in a metropolitan area like NYC.

Are you a Starbucks fan?

1 comment:

jbs said...

bangor folk should check out java joes on central st. for a great cup of fancy coffee!