Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Target vs. Walmart

I was reading this article in Business Week and couldn't help but feel the need to pontificate on it.

I love Target. I really do. I go there to pick up cleaning supplies, face soap, neat lamps, bathroom rugs, and curtains. It's easy and their design is fun. However, there is a new Walmart in town that has a grocery store attached. I can't BELIEVE how cheap stuff is there. From hot cocoa to boxes of cereal to fruits and vegetables -- their prices are cheaper than the local grocery stores. Kraft Mac & Cheese for $0.57? You can't beat it.

I've noticed that this new Walmart is looking a lot like the Target that I know and love. Celebrities like Miley Cyrus have teamed up with designers to create a clothing line. Walmart is getting chicer and with their low prices are now rivaling Target.

Being on a budget, I shop at Walmart to save money. I'm not proud of it, because I like to support my local businesses, but in this economy it makes sense and cents for me. It'll be interesting to see where I now go to purchase my goods now that there is a bright and shiny new Walmart (with groceries AND a pharmacy where I get my meds) in town.

1 comment:

Kristina P. said...

I definitely prefer Target, but you're right about Walmart prices. I will go to Walmart if Target isn't open and I need something.