Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Reading makes me cry sometimes

Have you ever read something that is so well written that you feel like your have sunk your teeth into the smoothest, creamiest, thick lemon pie that you want to die because nothing will ever be that good again?

This is what I am going through reading Travels With Charley by John Steinbeck. I don't know if I was having an emotional day or what but I literally shed a tear due to the sheer beauty of Steinbeck's sentences. There was nothing out of place or missing and every word was doing it's duty.


I picked up this book for a few reasons:

1. I had a coupon.
2. The Grapes of Wrath is one of my all time favorite books.
3. Steinbeck spends a good amount of time in Maine.

I'm already a 1/3 of the way through and I wish it would never end....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Now that's a good review.

p.s. I don't think you'll feel that way about the draft I just sent you...

Michael Alden said...

I do admire your taste, Mimi. Delicious pie indeed - and not one of those cellophane wrapped things, but "food made with real hands". Travels With Charley is without a doubt one of my "desert island" reads. Hell, Steinbeck is probably my favorite writer....period. So many vivid scenes in that book. I sat on my deck and read it by candlelight one summer, couldn't put it down and I didn't sleep at all that night. I do remember wishing that J.S. would turn Rocinante around for another spin through the country. I'm glad you discovered this classic!

Nicole said...

Wow, I now have to read this book! You should sell things, Miss Mimi!