Monday, November 10, 2008

Audrey Hepburn by Barry Paris

My friend Annie and I watched "Funny Face" a few weekends ago. I didn't really like the movie but since then I've had Audrey on the brain. I picked this book up at the library recently and it has become my bedtime reading.

I've always been interested in Audrey's unique accent. Actors and actresses from the post WWII era all seemed to have this weirdo way of talking. Not quite British but definitely more proper than regular American-ese. But Audrey sounded different. I had no idea before I picked up the Barry Paris book that she was from The Netherlands. This explains it.

Reading about her tough survival during WWII and how she got started in show business has been fascinating. And the fact that she chose her budding career over her wealthy fiancee. A pretty amazing choice considering the era. It's amazing how her unique looks catapulted her into her acting career. A trained ballerina, her face, her grace, and her childlike charm outweighed her novice acting chops. I can't wait to read more!

No comments: