Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Bust

My friend Kathryn gave me a subscription to Bust magazine for my birthday. The first issue I got had Sarah Silverman on the cover -- score! To be honest, I had never read an issue of Bust -- I had formed the opinion (by covers only mind you) that it was an uber-feminist girl-power penis-hating rag. But flipping through the magazine Monday night at 1:00 am when my dog woke me up to eat, I realized that although it is a feminist magazine but it's also smart, and not as man-hating as I had presumed. If Amy Sedaris was a magazine she would be Bust.

This article has stories about creating a locally grown Thanksgiving dinner, Michelle Obama, and comedienne Margaret Cho. Not too shabby. These features are surrounded by Bust's staple fare, which includes: Buy or DIY, Test Kitchen, Trend Spotting (Peter Pan colars!), Looks (Cupcake Goth -- I couldn't believe it either), and News from a Broad.

I haven't read the whole thing yet, but I'm not writing it off as a grunge/punk/cupcake goth girl publication anymore. Any magazine that can talk politics, teach me how to make jam, and tell me where to stay in Sri Lanka deserves a closer look.

No comments: