Monday, November 17, 2008

Luxury Hangover

My stylish friend Annie sent me to this column in the Boston Globe by Yvonne Abraham. In the piece, Abraham writes about the Natick Collection -- an addition made to the Natick mall to make it more posh, more high-end, more luxury. Here's a sample:
At Burberry, a nice salesman was thrilled to show me a $2,350 checkered bag encrusted with black marine motifs, even though my own bag - a $16 Target number encrusted with baby puke - screamed, "You are deluded, sir."
How true! Some people may be buying their loved ones a $3,500 Vuitton bag for Christmas but not anyone I know. As I struggle to just survive living on my own without anyone to split the bills with. I look my nose down at the marketing ploy of retailers these days...
In addition to filling magazines with ads, Louis Vuitton puts this season's "It Bag" into the hands of Lindsay Lohan or some other train wreck. She gets photographed with the purse and the image is everywhere. A legion of pinheads see it and scramble to get one of the bags, whose supply is strictly controlled.
Abraham's got it right. I'm focusing on getting my friends and family thoughtful gifts this Christmas that don't cost an arm and a leg. Grandma's not worried about upping her status with a Hermes Birkin bag anyway.

No comments: