Thursday, November 20, 2008

Second Hand Candy

I just got this email from my sister. She bought a candy bar at Marden's Surplus and Salvage and put it in the freezer for later consumption. If this isn't a lesson on where to buy your food I don't know what is...

the MOST disgusting thing happened to me last night. i pulled one of my favorite things from the freezer- a Ritter Marzapan and dark chocolate candy bar- poured myself some milk and sat on the couch to enjoy some and watch a little t.v.
mind you, it's dark and i can't really see what i'm eating... but it's delicious. of course it's delicious, it's my FAVORITE!

but i'm notice something odd. at first i thought i had eaten a piece of my hair that had fallen out onto the bar.... so i just pulled it out and moved on.
the second time i pulled this 'stuff' out of my mouth, i took a closer look at it. it kinda looked like the glue type stuff they seal wrappers with. 'weird' i thought. had i picked some up off the package when i took my last piece? i got over it.
but i was kinda loosing my appetite for this perfect confection...
i had not intended on eating an entire candy bar, so when i got half way thorough, i stopped eating. i carried the remaining bar and the wrapper, careful not to dump any crumbs, into the kitchen and flicked on a light so that i could see to grab a baggie...

ew.

i looked down at my lovely chocolate and saw that a fine webby film had collected in the indentations (you know, where they want you to break the pieces off). was this thing expired?! i mean, i know i bought it at mardens... but i'm pretty sure the 'eat by' date hadn't come and gone yet. sure enough, March 2009 was the date.
well what the heck then?!
i looked closer at my 'crumbs'....
there was my little web making friend- a grubby looking worm. how the hell had he gotten in there?

gag!

i instantly felt sick. i still feel a little sick.

And now I feel sick.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMFG. Are you joking me? Holy crap!!!! That is enough to make me not eat for A YEAR. UGH! I have this horrible fear of worms. One of the many reasons I always steer away from tequila.

I am glad you are alive!

Ayda Sue and Violet Anne said...

oh geez, thanks a lot for broadcasting my horrible evening to the world.
it's still my favorite treat... the chocolate, not the worm.

Anonymous said...

I am sick too. As I mentioned to you, Mimi, I think it's okay to buy old clothes and toys at Marden's but not old food. I'm keeping away.