Friday, November 7, 2008

The Books I Carry

In the past 10 years I have moved 13 different times. I've moved twice in the past 5 months. And every time I do I try to lighten my load. My books make up quite a bit of the load that I move from place to place, much to the dismay of my parents who have moved me a lot. Here is a list of books that I have been carting around that I can't possibly live without:

1. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
2. Random Family by Adrian Nicole LeBlanc
3. Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
4. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
5. The Bonesetter's Daughter (autographed) by Amy Tan
6. Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
7. Merle's Door by Ted Kerasote
8. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
9. What is the What by Dave Eggers and Valentino Achak Deng
10.The Postman by Antonio Skarmeta

These are the first 10 that popped into my head.

As an adjunct journalism professor I also own a rather heavy (weight wise) collection of writing and reporting texts. These must come with me as well because they're a bitch to get from the publisher. And I have yet to find one text that has everything I need and want.

I also have a collection of literary journals that have published my poetry and stacks of magazines that contain my freelance work. These must stay with me as well. Hopefully I won't be moving for a while.

No comments: