Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Dunkin' Donuts has no charm

I liked this article by Abby Curtis for the Bangor Daily News today.
CAMDEN, Maine — News that developers would like to open a Dunkin’ Donuts in the heart of this scenic seaside community has acted like a jolt of caffeine to residents worried the chain restaurant would erode their town’s charm.
I think the debate has deeper roots than just the towns charm, though.

Curtis includes the fact that Camden has six to seven vacant storefronts -- which is not charming in the least. I understand the sensitivity people have for their quaint town, but I've never heard of a Dunkin' Donuts making it worse. In fact, having a Dunkin' Donuts in your town means you have finally made it in New England....or at least that's what it seems.

My two cents? I think if the developers put the business in a not-typical Dunkin' Donuts designed building and melded the storefront with what's around it everything could be fine -- which is the plan for now.

Unless there is a local doughnut and coffee shop in the village there's no competition. I'll be the first to admit that I'd rather go to Frank's Bake Shop in Bangor than to any number of the Dunkin' Donuts around here....but I have a choice. And so do all the people in Camden. I say better to have a Dunkin' Donuts in an empty storfront in Camden than nothing at all.

1 comment:

Abby said...

hey mel, glad you liked the story. did you see my favorite BDN comment on this, which kind of ties two of your recent posts together? from Beelzebubba: "Camden needs a topless Dunkin." yikes!