Thursday, April 2, 2009

This recession is scary...

The other day I sent my students an article about all the newspapers that are closing around the country. Most of them shrugged their shoulders and said, "no biggie -- I'm going into broadcasting."

Right at the tippy top of today's Bangor Daily News is a banner that reads: WABI-TV announces cuts. Anchorman Craig Colson, reporter Susan Farley among 7 layoffs at television news station.


This is sad news! Craig Colson is part of a broadcasting legend in Maine. His dad, Don Colson, was the news anchor here when I was growing up.
Colson said in an e-mail Wednesday that "losing my job is a big shock, but it comes as no surprise." Colson added: "My one regret is that I wasn't given a chance to say farewell to the audience, to say goodnight one last time. That's what I'm doing now. It has been an honor to be able to come into their homes each night." - from the BDN
Colson had worked at WABI since 1985. Some of the people who lost their jobs had worked at the station for more than 20 years; some less than 5.

1 comment:

Summer Nicklasson said...

Awwww...I obviously don't watch Maine news now, but I remember Don Colson very well. He was around forever. How sad that his son can't carry on that legacy.