Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Where Mimi Went: Boston

On Sunday morning my mother, sister and I headed down to Boston for the night. The occasion? Besides Easter we went to see Dirty Dancing at the Boston Opera House.

I have to admit -- I wasn't expecting anything special. Dirty Dancing on stage? Weird. Lame. Obnoxious. It was none of these things. It was....AWESOME! The actors were amazing dancers and had powerful singing voices. The set design was creative and intelligent. The only thing that sucked was Johnny Castle's Australian accent. He was no Patrick Swayze but he was close.

On Monday we got up and walked around Back Bay. I know the economy sucks but for some reason I just figured it wouldn't be so bad in Boston. All along Newbury Street there were empty store windows and storefronts for lease. I kept saying "oh so-and-so used to be here!" It was sort of depressing.

The three of us, however, focused on doing our part by stimulating the economy. I got a smart white trench coat on sale at Ann Taylor ($170 down to $58...holla!) and Jenn and Mum got make-up at Sephora. I also got my brother a nifty gift that I'm saving for Christmas. People always make fun of me for shopping early but it saves me time and money.

Anyway -- it was a wonderful trip and I even got to see my friend Krista and stay in a fancy hotel. Hooray!

2 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I had no idea this was even a show! Sounds interesting!

sister said...

'you just put your pickle on everybodies plate, college boy, and leave the hard stuff to me"

nuff said.