Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Maine people are mean

I just read this article in the Bangor Daily News about the bust of a Brewer prostitution ring. The fact that the women's photos were published bothered my co-worker. Her thought is that if women are resorting to prostitution they have issues and are in trouble -- so why make it worse?

I was interested to see what people were saying online. As of 11:20 am there were over 110 comments on the story. To my horror most of them were EXTREMELY MEAN! Why? I was amazed at the lack of compassion. Sure, prostitution isn't the most highly regarded job, but these women were doing what they had to do -- or wanted to do -- to make a buck. Sure if they are cheating the system they should be punished but the hateful messages on the board surprised me.

And don't forget -- you might be surprised as to who went to these women for services.
Wonder why none of the Brewer Johns weren't busted. It takes two to commit prostitution. Maybe the Brewer Johns were Good Ole Brewer Boys protected by the cops. Must be nice to be connected in Brewer. - posted by Knightscross

Some of the mean comments:

The coup-de-grace......other than Kimberly Oakley, these girls are so ugly the tide wouldn't take them out!!!! -- from limestone65


Why can't people start using their brains and get real jobs? -- from Mapleton09


surprise surprise!!! Nasty ignorant people, why can't people make a living just working and not spreading their nasty diseases. GROSS!!!! -- from citizens


I guess I just expected more empathy and less insults. Call me naive.

4 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I find that most comments on any type of news site are just mean and ignorant.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. Whenever I'm really strapped for cash and I think, "How can I make money quickly?" the only answer I can come up with is prostitution! I've never been that desperate, but I can understand that many women (and men!) are. Who am I to judge? Times are tough.

j said...

kristina is right, no one ever has anything nice to say on the comment section of the news. i was also a little shocked that they put the girls photos up (and don't think i didn't take a close look to see if i knew any of them). i think people leave mean comments b/c it gives them a sense of "see, look how bad these other people are! i can't possibly be a bad person now". people are mean... and i can't even exclude myself.

Anonymous said...

hey kim oakley is my mom