Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Obama and A-Rod

I don't know if you watched Obama's press conference last night but I did. And while it was mostly about the economy with a little foreign policy thrown in, a reporter asked him how he felt about the Alex Rodriguez steroid news.

Seriously?

You are a reporter sitting in on the very first press conference with the new president of the United States. He's talking about an economic stimulus package that will affect every citizen. The president calls on you to ask a question. It's your time to shine. And you blow it by asking him how he feels about a professional baseball player's steroid use?

“I think it’s depressing news on top of what has been a flurry of depressing items when it comes to Major League Baseball,” Obama said. “If you’re a fan of Major League Baseball, I think it tarnishes an entire era to some degree. It’s unfortunate because I think there are a lot of ball players who played it straight.”

How do you THINK the president is going to respond? Do you think he's really going to condone the practice of using steroids? I thought it was a ridiculous question to be asking at a ridiculous time. The reporter got the feel-good quote he was looking for but I don't think it was appropriate to ask the question in the first place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was also surprised that the reporter asked that question. It's not as if Obama had answered every possible question the American people have, and that's our job as reporters. What's interesting is to see how every news outlet has reported his answer to that question.