Thursday, February 19, 2009

Octuplet Mom is Crazy

This lady has been in the news a lot lately and I've been trying to avoid her. I know once I give her some attention it's going to be like a car wreck where I just can't look away.

But in browsing Gawker.com I learned that this woman's house is in default because the mortgage payments haven't been made. Psycho mom, Nadya Suleman, lives there with her 8 newborn babies and 6 other kids. Nadya's mom, Angela, purchased the house and is just too busy to deal with it:
When asked whether she has tried to negotiate with her lender, IndyMac Federal Bank of Pasadena, Calif., Suleman replied, "I haven't even had time right now, but I'm sure I could do something." - From People.com
She's going to be really busy when they're kicked out of the house and have nowhere to live.

But besides the whole home thing -- what is Nadya Suleman thinking? She has no job and 14 mouths to feed besides hers. Is she relying on the goodness of strangers? Is she going to send her older kids to Asia to work in sweatshops for a little extra cash?

This interview
with NBC's Ann Curry blows my mind:
“People feel, you know, this woman is being completely irresponsible and selfish to bring these children in the world without a clear source of income and enough help to raise them,” Curry told Nadya Suleman in a segment that aired Friday on TODAY. “The world outside is saying, ‘What are you doing?’ ”

“I know I'll be able to afford them when I'm done with my schooling,” the 33-year-old single mom replied. Calm, poised and articulate in the glare of the media spotlight, Suleman added: “If I was just sitting down watching TV and not being as determined as I am to succeed and provide a better future for my children, I believe that would be considered, to a certain degree, selfish.”
When is she going to be done her schooling? Who is watching these babies when she's in class? How does she expect to get a job in this economy? Will she make enough to put 8 babies in daycare?

The questions I have for this woman are endless. When I think about her I just get mad. I can't help but expect these children to end up in foster care sooner rather than later.


All she wanted were children. Now she has 14 of them. Is that enough? How come 6 children weren't enough? It was irresponsible for this woman and her doctors to use fertility treatments for more children. Don't they have women fill out a form to find out how they intend on providing for these children before they fill her with fertilized eggs? A student with no job and 6 other children had no business having fertility treatments. Clearly she can't think straight -- and if she can't think straight shouldn't she be denied fertility treatments?

Actually I have no idea what sort of responsibility the hospital and doctors have concerning fertility treatments. I'm not even sure what the application process is. If you know please share....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I took a family planning class in college and it turns out a surprisingly large number of women have babies simply because they're lonely. This seems to be Suleman's motive. I agree, I can't imagine why she couldn't have stopped at...one? But then again, I'm pretty much opposed to fertility treatments and sperm/egg donation anyway.